Monday, March 30, 2015

Cultivating a Life Long Learner





There are some days where learning doesn't come as easily in our home as I would like it to. Boober would much rather be playing his Nintendo or watching a movie. I understand perfectly, I remember thinking the same thing when I was his age.



These are the days I have to get extra creative and disguise the learning. I have to make it fun, exciting, and fresh. This is how I came up with our curriculum. When we began our year I planned 36 weeks of learning, the average school year. I factored in a small summer break and a few weeks off here and there for Christmas and Thanksgiving or whatever life may throw our way.




Capturing the attention of a 3 year old is tricky. I constantly look for ways to keep him interested in learning. One of the ways I do this is with a recurring “Interest Led Week”.
Each of our weeks have an overall theme. I created a loose schedule of themes on my own, and began to write up a basic curriculum for the year. Then I penciled in a place for interest led days.

When we began the year I asked him what he might want to learn about. He didn’t really have too much of an answer. Now I ask Boober frequently what he wants to learn about, and he always has an answer. When we come up with a theme, I then add it to our schedule and began putting together a lesson plan. I ask him 2 weeks ahead. This gives me enough time he should remain interested but also to allow me to create my lesson plan without a rush.


Here is our tentative schedule for the year:

JANUARY




Unit 1

Theme- Snow

Unit 2
Theme- Polar Animals
Unit 3
Theme- States of Matter
Unit 4
Theme- (Interest lead Week) Stink Bugs

FEBRUARY



Unit 1

Theme- Music

Unit 2
Theme- Valentines
Unit 3
Theme- Germs
Unit 4
Theme- (Interest led week) Rabbits

MARCH




Unit 1

Theme- Dr Seuss/ Start Garden

Unit 2
Theme- St Patricks Day/Rocks
Unit 3
Theme- Birds/Birthdays
Unit 4
Theme- Interest Led Week (Dinosaurs)

APRIL



Unit 1

Theme- Spring/Easter

Unit 2
Theme- Weather
Unit 3
Theme- Eating Healthy
Unit 4
Theme- Solar Energy or Interest Led Week (To be determined)


MAY

Unit 1


Theme- Bugs

Unit 2

Theme- Frogs
Unit 3
Theme- Stars
Unit 4
Theme- Sound or Interest Led Week (To be determined)

JUNE

Unit 1
Theme- Ocean


Unit 2

Theme- Kites/Air
Wembley is due to arrive, so we are on summer vacation!

SEPTEMBER


Unit 1

Theme- Apples

Unit 2
Theme- Farm
Unit 3
Theme- Fall
Unit 4
Theme- Community Helpers or Interest Led Week (To be determined)

OCTOBER



Unit 1

Theme- Fire Safety

Unit 2
Theme- Pumpkins
Unit 3
Theme- Basic Anatomy/Skeletons
Unit 4
Theme- Halloween or Interest Led Week (To be determined)


NOVEMBER


Unit 1

Theme- 5 Senses

Unit 2
Theme- Thanksgiving
Unit 3
Theme- Hibernation or Interest Led Week (To be determined)


DECEMBER


Unit 1

Theme- Nativity

Unit 2
Theme- Baking or Interest Led Week (To be determined)
Unit 3
Theme- Christmas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...