Monday, March 16, 2015

Dear Coupon Mom, From Latte Mom



This past Friday I read an article on MoneySavingMom’s Blog. It was about having it together as a mom. I find that most days I can look pulled together, but looks are deceiving. I've had quite a few friends comment before, on how put together I am or how nice the kids are dressed. They are catching me on good days. 


You can find the article that inspired my two part response here.




(It's a Frappuccino by the way.)





To you, coupon mom, let me assure you the Starbucks in my hand means nothing. I have some much needed caffeine in my system and that is about it. I frequent Starbucks 3-4 days a week, which is FAR more than my wallet would care for. All my favorite baristas know my name and order, and the names of my children as I drag them (and buy their cooperation with cake pops and organic vanilla milks) into the coffee shop. I had once considered Starbucks a guilty pleasure of mine, an occasional indulgence, but now see it as a vice of mine, a weakness.


In order to tackle something simple like grocery shopping with 2 children, and not fall asleep in the freezer section I need my caffeinated beverage. I can’t even make a coffee myself. Who has time for that? I just convinced a 3 year old boy to wear a shirt and pants in the same conversation, and it only took me 20 minutes and promising he could address me as Luigi the rest of the day and that I will refer to him as Mario.

To let you in on a little secret, as I pass by your cart I am filled with utter disappointment in myself. I haven’t clipped a coupon in weeks. I used to be so good with clipping and organizing but then child one started walking and talking and child 2 came along and now I have a stack of coupons that I occasionally clip from and a sad pile of printables. I clip what deals the facebook group I belong to post about, when I can find the coupons. My cart is filled with organic bananas, eggs, soymilk, starbucks, sausage, taco fixings like a large bag of shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese. We haven’t hit the snack aisle yet. You’ll see a less healthy cart in five minutes. I will also cringe when the total pops up at the end of this trip. I am envious that you can stick to a budget and I can’t.

Thursday I will divulge my secret to acting like I have it together, and it pretty much boils down to fake it til you make it. See you tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...